It’s been ages since I did an update on the main network machine here, and I bit the bullet over the weekend. 250+ packages emerged with surprisingly little trouble, and all I was left to do was build the updated kernel and reboot.
I usually end up with something that doesn’t restart after the reboot, usually because of a kernel module that needs to be rebuilt after the kernel (because I forget to remerge the package before the reboot, oops). This time the culprit was Asterisk (the phone system), which I also often have trouble with after an update due to a couple of codec modules external to the Asterisk build. This time however the problem ended up being due to the Asterisk CAPI channel driver failing.
Thinking it was the usual didn’t-rebuild-the-module problem, I went looking for the package I had to rebuild… only to find it was masked. Turns out the driver for the ISDN card in the box, a FritzCard PCI, is no longer maintained and doesn’t build on modern kernels, which has resulted in the Gentoo folks hard-masking the entire set of AVM’s out-of-tree drivers.
Help was at hand in the form of a Patton SmartNode 4552 ISDN VoIP router I’d bought months ago to replace the Fritz card. Even though there isn’t much information about how to configure the SmartNode for Asterisk around, I managed to get the setup working in only a couple of hours. I even managed to get the outgoing routing for the work line set up right!
Eventually I’ll get something posted here that goes into a bit more detail about the configuration. Let me know in a comment if you need to hurry me up! 🙂